Tuesday, October 26, 2010

TEACHER

"The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." ~ William Arthur Ward (1921-1994)

"The great teacher is not the man who supplies the most facts, but the one in whose presence we become different people." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)


"A teacher affects eternity. He can never tell where his influence stops." ~ Henry Adams (1838-1918)

"The teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to enter the house of his wisdom but rather leads you to the threshold of your mind." ~ Kahlil Gibran (1883-1931)


What a Teacher Makes

A group of dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One of the men, a wealthy CEO, decided to voice his negative opinion about education.

He remarked, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided the best option in life was to become a teacher? Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

Then he turned to one of the guests and said, "You're a teacher, Susan. Be honest. What do you make?"

Susan, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness, replied, "You want to know what I make? I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.

I can make a C+ feel like the Congressional Medal of Honor and an A- feel like an interrogation if the student did not do his or her very best.

You want to know what I make? I make kids wonder.

I make them question. I make them think with a critical mind and search for difficult answers.

I make them apologize and mean it.

I make them write.

I make them read, and read, and read.

I make kids listen... to hear my words as well as the love and caring behind my words.

I make them grow in integrity, humility, and faith by sharing values that will bring them authentic happiness throughout their lives.

I elevate them to experience music and art and the joy in performance, so their lives are rich, full of kindness and culture, and they take pride in themselves and their accomplishments.

I make them understand that God gave them brains so that they can follow their hearts.

And I make sure they know that if someone ever tries to judge you by what you make, you pay them no attention.

You want to know what I make? I make a difference!"

No comments:

Post a Comment